In this post I will be reviewing the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant, an award-winning multi-purpose cream. I first bought this cream on an airport 5 years ago, and ever since then my mom and I have been obsessed with it. Of course, I’ve also done my research before purchasing this cream and I noticed a lot of people mentioned a way too greasy/sticky texture and an unpleasant, almost medicinal smell. Keep reading to find out about my first impressions!
What does the internet say?
Based on reviews on Elizabeth Arden’s website and independent review websites, the cream scores an average of 4.4 out of 5.
The Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant is usually sold in a tube packaging (50ml), and is priced around 20 EUR.
Eight Hour® Cream Skin Protectant is the legendary skincare formula created in 1930 by Miss Arden to soothe and protect skin. An instant, overwhelming success, the Eight Hour® brand continues its legacy today. Celebrated by makeup artists and beauty influencers around the globe, its wonderful versatility and proven results have elevated it to “cult status” in the beauty industry.
This award-winning skin protectant deeply moisturizes and protects skin any time, any way you choose. Its versatile formula goes beyond moisturizing, working wonders to shape brows, add shine to cheeks, soothe dry hands, smooth cuticles and nails, and more.
Dermatologist-tested and clinically shown to hydrate and protect skin for eight hours!
DID YOU KNOW? The name Eight Hour® was coined by a devoted Elizabeth Arden client who used the cream on her child’s grazed knee, and ”eight hours later”, it was magically better.Elizabeth Arden
8 Ways to Use Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant
- AT FACE VALUE: Simply rub a dime-sized amount in the palms of hands to warm through, then pat onto the face to seal in moisture.
- COMES IN HANDY: Deep condition by working the formula into palms and over the fingers, then wrapping each hand for 10 minutes in a warm towel.
- HEEL-TO-TOE HEALING: Relieve weary feet by massaging the cream generously onto soles, pads and heels, then topping with cotton socks for deeper moisturization to heal dry skin.
- A FLASH OF BRILLIANCE: Create instant radiance wherever skin normally catches the light, including legs, shoulders, collarbone, cheeks and bow of the lips.
- LAVISH THE LIPS: With its effective moisturizing ingredients, this do-it-all wonder perfectly re-hydrates chapped lips.
- THE MANE BENEFITS: In addition to its properties as a “skin savior,” the cream’s petrolatum and natural lanolin help smooth strands and moisturize dry ends.
- FROST SMITTEN: It can be smoothed onto skin as protection from windburn, particularly when adventuring outdoors.
- KEEPING IT HIGH-BROW: Run the tiniest amount through eyebrows to groom hairs, helping neaten and define the arch.
What are my first impressions?
After having read all the reviews before purchasing the cream, I expected the texture to be way stickier than it actually was. In fact, I wouldn’t consider it to be sticky at all. The cream has a smooth texture and, indeed, has a strong fragrance that might come off as unpleasant or medicinal to some, but it definitely isn’t disturbing to me.
When I initially bought the cream, I intended to use it for my dry and chapped lips only. Soon I found out I could also apply it to dry patches on my face and body, and I even applied it on my nose which tends to get very dry when I have a cold.
Even if I might not use this cream everyday, it always comes in handy. I often find myself grateful to have a spare tube in my bathroom cabinet and when I notice I’m running out, I rush to the stores to stock up. This last one doesn’t happen very often, one tube lasts me and my mom an entire year. You only need a little squeeze, whatever you’re using the cream for.
How do I use it?
During the cold autumn and winter days, I apply this cream to my lips when I wake up and go to bed. On my days off I also apply a bit to my eyebrows instead of makeup for a nice and subtle shine and shape. A while back I applied benzoyl peroxide to some acne on my forehead every morning and night for two weeks, and it incredibly dried out my skin. After I was done using the benzoyl peroxide treatment, I applied this cream to my forehead before going to bed for only two nights and my skin was as good as new. My skin doesn’t get very dry very often but if you’re going through skin treatments such as isotretinoin, you might suffer from the occasional dry patches and dry lips. In that case, this cream would be a great solution.
I’m convinced that this cream is a must-have for any household. Even if you’re not using it daily; believe me, it will come in handy and at moments like that, you will be thankful to find a tube in your kitchen or bathroom cabinet. However, if you’re not a big fan of (strong) fragrances, this might not be the right product for you. If you’re still looking for a multi-purpose cream, consider looking at the Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment.